Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

You know as I listen to the lyrics of Let it Snow I get this overwhelming sense that life was a bit simplier back in 1945 when Sammy Cahn wrote the lyrics. Here they are:

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of Pausing,
And I've bought some corn for popping,
The lights are turned way down low,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

When we finally kiss goodnight,
How I'll hate going out in the storm!
But if you'll really hold me tight,
All the way home I'll be warm.

The fire is slowly dying,
And, my dear, we're still good-bying,
But as long as you love me so,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!


What great lyrics. Of course, they're completely unpractical these days. I mean who actually has a real fireplace that uses real wood? I'd have to simulate the dying fire at my house, which not only looks pretty darn good, but blows the heat out at you.

So, back to Let it Snow. I enjoy the great workout of shoveling snow. I think there are four classes of people with respect to snow management. You have the who cares group who basically do the absolute minimum on their walks and driveway. You have the snowblower crowd and they range from the modest blowers to those that can cast it like 200 yards. Then you have the elite crowd: the guys with the ATV or whatnot that have blows attached. These guys have it made and they seem to want to go and do every house in the neighborhood. Finally, you have the purists, the guys that use a shovel and go at it. I'm in the last group. I think this is the same group that likes to push their own mower on the lawn. The DYI and suffer group. That's me alright. Of course, I've forced my three sons into the cause, but its good for them right.

I just love pushing snow. Of course, when I first moved to Utah in 2004, it hardly snowed the first year or two. When it finally did snow big time, I noticed that my super cool neighbor would get out there in a T-shirt and just go to town on the snow with his shovel. Me, I was totally decked out in the 42 layers of insulation and clothing. Now that I've lived her 5 full winters, I'm pretty much in one layer, a hat and gloves. The real key is having the right footwear. I bought my boots about 20 years ago on a visit to Utah and they're amazingly awesome. I think they're called Sorels, but what do I know other than that I've never had cold feet.

Speaking of not having cold feet, you know we're making Jonah and it is amazing to me that we might be able to actually put it on stage and film. I plan on spending most of my blog time on Jonah, but suffice it to say that if we actually do film this, it will have been a total miracle. Here's to miracles and snow. Let 'em happen.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Found you. Gotta love that snow, eh? (Actually it's mom using dad's computer).

    ReplyDelete